I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 9

On today's menu:



Southwest Casserole (offered) OR
Super Nachos (not offered) OR
Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered)
Pinto Beans
Frozen Fruit Slush (not offered)
*Variety of Fresh Fruit (plums, oranges, apples)
Not on the menu and offered: fruit cocktail mixed with peach halves (looked like the left over canned fruit from the other lunches this week.




I of course chose the Southwest casserole. This is a new item for our elementary school. (Two new menu items in a week!) This is my observation: macaroni noodles, with canned tomatoes, with some kind of cream of something soup, a can of corn (ahh, there's the southwest part of this casserole) with other things added in (i.e. celery), all poured into a pot and heated. Kind of bland, but not bad tasting. Lots of sodium!!! Which one would think, would increase the flavor . . .



The beans had a really nice flavor, but seemed odd to be with this meal. I guess it goes with the southwestern flair of the casserole. Salad was the same as the other days and the orange was very tasty.

Looking around the cafeteria, I saw that at least half of the trays had chef salads again. I spoke with a 1st grade teacher to find out how the salads were working for her class. She told me that she was surprised at how many of her students take the salad. When counting today, of those that had the school lunch, more than half had the salad.

I don't think we can believe the mantra of "but they won't eat the healthy food options" anymore!! The kids are choosing the fresh healthy option more often than anyone expected.

That's all there is today folks.

2 comments:

  1. I am really loving all the comments and especially hearing what other schools are doing. Thanks to all who are taking the time to read and comment and huge thanks to Ms. Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school I worked at today offered the Southwest Casserole or a Chef Salad. I chose the Casserole and it was really pretty good. In fact ours had diced turkey in it and it was not as runny looking as the one in the above picture.

    Ms. Tree..why are half the students taking chef salads? I have never been in a school where that many students took salads, could it be they have heard alot of negativity about the meals served at their school that they are afraid to try anything new.

    ReplyDelete