I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 2

The food was not as appealing as it was yesterday. The colorful display of Chef salads were gone and there wasn't as much fresh fruit on the shelf/counter. While I waited in line they had two Chef Salads on the shelf. After I left the line, so did the display of Chef Salads.

Without a visual cue, I'm not sure how the kids (or myself) would know that there is a choice of main course. Unless the line server remembers to ask which item you want.

I didn't make a note of my arrival time today, as the line was rather short and we all got through much quicker than yesterday.

I apologize for the blurry picture. I think you can still make out what everything is. Canned fruit was right next to the fresh fruit today. The fresh choice consisted of banana, plum or (maybe two types of) apple. That silver tray on the top shelf is filled with saltine crackers for the Chef Salad found just to the left of the tray.


Today's meal choices:
Chicken Rings OR Chef Salad w/ Crackers
Whole Grain Dinner Roll
Baked Beans was on the menu. Actually served: peas
Potato Salad was on the menu. Actually served: mashed potato with white gravy
Chilled Pears OR Variety of Fresh Fruit

I chose the Chicken Rings and fresh apple. The lunch tray comes with milk. However, adults (and only adults) may choose to skip the milk and pick iced tea. Today, I chose to take the milk and pay extra for an iced tea. Total cost: $3.10 ($2.60 for lunch, .50 for the tea).

I found out today it's best to bring exact change for lunch. I was holding up the line a bit waiting for change to be made.


The chicken rings were bland. At the suggestion of one of the students (who was obviously an old pro at this), I dipped the rings in the gravy, and when that didn't satisfy, the gravy AND potatoes. I really would have preferred something with more flavor to dip into. Ranch dressing was available for the salads -- next time I will make a point of getting some for the chicken rings.

The roll was tasty but kind of dry. I looked for some butter or butter substitute to no avail. I ended up dipping it in the mashed potatoes and gravy too.

Peas were over cooked and had the feel of some sort of fat (butter?, oil?) on them.

Today I learned that as a student you must choose one of the main courses, and that you must take at least one side item. I watched one student choose the chicken rings, mashed potatoes with gravy, dinner roll and milk. That was it.

I sat near another student who chose almost the same thing, but included a banana. He didn't eat any of it. Not even the banana. He may have drank his milk.

Yesterday I was impressed with the food, today . . . not so much.

Tomorrow is Parent/Teacher Conference day. That means no school and no school lunch. I'll pick back up on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my that looks horrid! I have eaten with my girls on occasion, but not too often. I have forwarded on your blog for some other friends to follow. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog idea. I currently teach in OKCPS and I have taught in other districts nearby. I agree that our school lunches need improvement, but surprisingly, OKC is the first school I've taught where I will actually eat the school lunch. I've been in Mid-Del and Norman and I NEVER ate the school lunches there. When I came to OKCPS I saw the food in the lunch line and I remember thinking, that actually looks good. Good luck making it through the month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit horrified by "chicken rings." Does that have anything to do with actual chickens? Where did this idea come from? That's a lot of starch and fat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have to sub last Thursday so I went to eat lunch with my children and there school DID NOT have chicken rings for lunch. On Monday I was called to sub at an elementary school, so out of curosity I asked the cafeteria manager why some schools was serving different things and why do some schools offer more items to chose from. She told me the managers were instructed to follow the menus for the 4 days that school was closed due to the weather. She also said it probably saved the school district alot of money because the schools did not have to turn in food orders last week. The manager showed me the menu for February and chicken rings were not on the menu for Feb 4th, so it looks like your school was the only one that served them. She said if a school only offers (1) entree or a chef salad it's because the school principal does not want then to offer
    (2) entrees'.
    Now on to the food, I have eaten the chicken rings before and I didn't think they were bad at all. The wheat rolls are good and healthly unless you spread "BUTTER" on them.

    ReplyDelete