I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 8

On Today's menu:



Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered) OR
*WG Cheese Pizza (not offered) OR
Turkey and Vegetables on Rice (offered)
Scalloped Peaches
Seasoned Broccoli
*Fresh Garden Salad w/Light Dressing
*Variety of Fresh Fruit

I thought for sure we'd have the pizza. It's always pizza on Tuesdays. Some kids only bring their lunch on Tuesdays so they don't have to have the pizza. I was looking forward to trying the chef salad. I will only have the chef salad when we have a repeat on the menu.

I'm thrilled however that the food today did not look like fast food. In my eyes this is a huge improvement. I'm sad however, that the new entrees are heavily processed.

I chose the Turkey and vegetables with rice. It smelled really good when I came into the cafeteria. Today was the first day our school had ever had this entree. I didn't stay in the cafe today, however before I left I looked around at the lunches and I'd say about half of the trays had chef salads on them.



The Turkey and vegetable had a nice flavor. The rice was white and tasteless. I would have preferred brown rice. The side salad was iceberg lettuce with some carrot and purple cabbage in it. We had the same ranch as always -- I don't think it is "light dressing". I prefer the regular dressing, so this was a good thing. (The light dressings tends to have more sugar to make up for the loss of the fat) Broccoli was fine. Seemed to have less stems and more flowers today. Always a good thing!

All in all a good meal, with the exception of the reactions I've had to something in the last two meals. I am in the midst of getting ingredient lists.

That's it for today. I have eight more days left.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about your blog! I'm excited that you were inspired to raise awareness about school lunch. I like your photos. I want to eat lunch with the kids, but it would be too obvious for me to take a picture in the cafeteria. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the K-2 had the pizza. I don't think the turkey/rice was ready until 3rd graders went through the line. We had cling peaches (about 4 to a cup) and iceberg lettuce salad along with broccoli. Most children left the broccoli on their plates. Today my elementary school's lunch was more in tune to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't work today but I asked my children how they liked the lunch and (1) said it was very good and the other said it was Ok. She doesn't like rice. Their school offered pizza and chef salad also, but they both chose the Turkey & Vegetables on Rice.
    The cafeteria managers that I have been questioning are probably glad I wasn't called to work today so I wouldn't be bombarding them with questions again. All joking aside, all but (1) manager didn't seem to mind answering my questions at all.

    ReplyDelete