I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 3

On today's menu:


Chicken Tenders (was offered) OR
*Hamburger or Cheeseburger on Whole Grain Bun (these surprisingly were not offered) OR
Chef Salad w/ Crackers
*Baked Tater Tots
Variety of Fresh Fruit (which included: apple, orange or nectarine)
Mixed Vegetables
*Baked Apple

An asterisk(*) denotes components of Balanced Choices meals that meet strict nutrient parameters for calories, fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, fiber, sodium, and other key nutrients. All Balanced Choices meals include a choice of 1% or less milk.

The lunch line looked pretty good again. This time about four chef salads were on display and as you can see only one tray of fresh fruit.

So far in the adventure, this was the worst day.

The chicken tenders were anything but tender. They were stiff with grainy breading on them. I remembered to pick up some ranch for dip. I mistakenly picked up BBQ sauce thinking it was ketchup. It didn't matter. Neither were able to entice me to eat all of the chicken. I am shocked that I now prefer the chicken rings from last week which were at least soft like you'd expect chicken to be.

The tater tots looked good and like tater tots. Nevertheless, if you had blind folded me and put one in my mouth, I would not have been able to identify it by taste. They were flavorless.

Nectarine was my fruit choice today. It looked so juicy delicious. I saved it for last; my reward for eating the lunch. One bite and my love affair was over.
It was frozen and tasteless and discolored.
Very disappointing.

The highlight of the lunch for me today was the mixed vegetables. Still had on oily taste to them, but was not over cooked.


I've included a picture of another lunch tray with a chef salad. On closer examination, it really looks good. It was colorful, with tomatoes, purple cabbage and some darker green leaves of lettuce (not sure if it was still iceberg or not). I forgot to ask what kind of meat was on it, but probably ham.







I found it interesting that I felt like I was cheating today. I didn't take the milk, but instead took an iced tea. I didn't eat in the cafeteria, but rather went to the teachers lounge. I also had to really give myself a "pep" talk to go back up to the school to have the lunch.

I also want to report that after today's lunch I was still hungry. And remained hungry. I wonder if this was caused because I didn't drink a milk. Maybe that's the reason for the big push for kids getting milk, not only for the vitamins and minerals, but purely for the calorie count.

That's it for today. Join me again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. ms tree....The chicken tenders were not served at the school I worked at today but I have eaten them before and I will have to say they are not the best chicken tenders I've ever eat. But the tater tots...please..I find it hard to believe that you would not have known what they were had you not actually seen them. Seems like no matter what they serve at your school you are gonna complain.

    ReplyDelete