I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 7

On the menu for Feb. 12:


Sack Lunch
Turkey and Cheese SW (I don't know what SW means. Sandwich?) OR
Chef Salad w/ Crackers OR
Corn Dog (not served)
Carrot Sticks w/ Ranch
Choice of Fresh Fruit
Chilled Peaches (I don't believe this was served as an option)
Super Food: Bananas Taste Testing



Let's start with the sandwich. It was served on what looked to be white bread. I've been told that all the white bread served is really whole grain bread. There is no way to tell unless we get to see the packaging. I specifically asked if there was a whole wheat choice and was told no. The meat was highly processed "turkey". And the cheese tasted like American cheese.
Today’s American cheese is generally no longer made from a blend of all-natural cheeses, but instead is manufactured from a set of ingredients[1] such as milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. When substitutes are used it does not meet the legal definition of cheese in many jurisdictions, and must be labeled as "cheese product" or similar. -- Wikipedia
Everything else on the tray was as expected. Except for the bite of banana. Today was "Super Food Taste Testing” Day. And banana was the taste test. It wasn’t an exotic banana or a plantain; just a plain old banana. Something the kids get often and are familiar with.





Remember that kid I mentioned earlier this week that doesn’t eat his lunch? Well, today I watched him eat the white bread from the sandwich and after much discussion he decided to eat the banana.

No school on Monday, so I won’t be posting again until Tuesday. Today, I leave you with a parting snap shot of the end lunch. Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. We, too, had a sack lunch with a choice of a corn dog. The carrots were of the tiniest size in a cup with a pkg. of "ranch" dressing. The manager commented it was "eat out night" therefore the second time in a week we had sandwiches. We did not have turkey this past week. Our trash can looks about the same as Wilson's. All the styrofoam and plastic in the land fills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school I worked at had a choice of Sack Lunch w/Turkey & Cheese Sandwich, Chef Salad or Corn Dog. A few weeks ago I asked a cafeteria manager about the white bread, (because I was wandering why they were calling it WHOLE GRAIN) and was shown a loaf of the "WHITE" bread which is indeed WHOLE GRAIN. The manager said that when they had regular wheat bread the kids wouldn't eat it, but they seems to like the white whole grain better. Personally I do think the lettuce and tomato relish would look more appealing if it was leaf lettuce instead of shredded lettuce.

    Anonymous.....I bet the Child Nutrition office would
    like to know which school you work at because it sure doesn't sound like they follow the menu.

    Ms Tree......The food in that trash can does not match what was on the menu Friday. It looks more like Thursday's meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Feb. 12 was going to be "Made on Oklahoma Day." What part of the lunch was made in OK?

    ReplyDelete