I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 5

On the menu:





Enchilada Pie (not offered) OR
Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered) OR
Frito Chili Pie (offered)
Seasoned Corn
Frozen Fruit Slush (not offered)
Baked Fries
Variety of Fresh Fruit (bananas, apples, Clementines)
Not on the menu and offered: fruit cocktail or mixed fruit (not sure what the district calls it)

I'm having technical difficulties tonight and will not be posting pictures. Argh!
I also attempted to post a reply to the comments from yesterday and it disappeared. I will give it another shot tomorrow.
Edited to add pictures!

11:23 seems to be the time my daughter's class gets to the cafeteria. I stood at the back of the line. The kids were done throwing their trays away, lined up and on their way out the door by 11:36. So the kids that were right in front of me had VERY little time to eat.

I chose the Frito Chili Pie. As far as Frito Chili pie goes, not bad. Corn chips and chili. A small container of cheese (maybe 1 tablespoon?) and salsa was offered. I took them both and put them on the pie.


Corn was fine, although I couldn't tell it was "seasoned". The baked fries were, I thought, better than the tots. They at least had some flavor. And a little crispy. Crispy fries are good in my book. Oh and I found the ketchup! That helped! Though I know that the ketchup added more sugar to the meal.

I didn't get a choice on fruit today. Before I knew it one of the line workers put the canned fruit on my tray. I ate a little, but it felt and tasted like it was in lite syrup.

My observations: The kids like Frito chili pie. I didn't see as many chef salads on the trays today. One student said, "well, I've had the chef salad for two days in a row". I saw on two kid's trays that you could get the chili on the side. One of them chose not to take the chips at all. The other one put the cheese on her chips and didn't eat the chili (she basically had Frito's and cheese for lunch).

So, explain to me how corn chips, corn, baked fries (potato) and sweetened fruit is nutritionally balanced? Oh, I know the district has the whole week to make the meals "nutritionally" balanced . . . but how can this be acceptable? Especially if this is the only meal these kids get today?

It's short tonight. I should have more time to devote to this blog tomorrow. See you then!

3 comments:

  1. The school I was at Wednesday had a choice of Chef Salad, Enchilada Pie or Frito Chili Pie. I choose the Enchilada Pie (that was made with REAL TURKEY) at the suggestion of my child. It was very good as was the corn. After I read your post about the frozen fruit slushy this morning I again went to the cafteria manager at the school I was at and asked if she knew why it wasn't served. She wanted to know what school I was talking about and when I told her she just grinned and said, "Oh they're not allowed to serve anything like that over there." So I guess maybe the reason for offering the mixed fruit(aka fruit cocktail) was to replace the frozen fruit slushy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! The comment above was posted by Sharlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for having the fruit cocktail rather than the fruit slushy. They slush is supposed to be made with 100% fruit juice. It was discovered recently that it was mostly sugar/corn syrup. CNS director assured us that the sugar slushes would not be served in the WHOLE district.

    I'm sorry that everyone else is getting the sugar ladened stuff, when we are not. No one should have to have it. All the kids should be getting real fruit instead. Either fresh or from the can!

    ReplyDelete