I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 15

On today's menu:



*Chicken Nuggets (not offered) OR
Steak Fingers (not offered) OR
Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered)
Seasoned Green Beans (offered)
*WG Dinner Roll (offered)
*Mashed Potatoes (offered)
Apple Bread Pudding (offered)
*Choice of Fresh Fruit (apples, oranges)
Made in Oklahoma Day (I'm guessing the steak is the made in Oklahoma item)

I'm not sure what I had. I think it was considered the steak fingers, but it was more like a breaded steak patty. It tasted like it was quick fried, frozen and reheated. Gravy was offered to put on top of the steak and potatoes. I accepted. The steak had a nice texture and flavor.



I couldn't finish the green beans. They had a really strange taste to me . . . it was like the flavor had been all washed out. They were soft and I couldn't taste any seasoning if there was indeed some. It makes me curious why the green beans are not consistent. Maybe they get different brands.

The worst thing on the menu today (well actually the whole month) was the Bread Pudding. It tasted watery. Water actually dripped out of it. :-( I'm a big fan of bread pudding, even bad bread pudding, but today's was the worst I'd ever had.

The horrible bread pudding makes me wonder if CNS tastes these meals before shipping them out to the schools. Or if they ever do quality checks by visiting the schools and eating the same food the kids are eating.

I wonder if the director would come and have lunch with me sometime and if he would eat the food served for 180 days (the same amount of days kids are required to attend school).

Tomorrow is my last day. I have to say that I'm looking forward to being done with this adventure.


9 comments:

  1. I have often wondered why Made in Oklahoma day is always chicken fried steak?! There's a little Oklahoma pride for ya'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Tree Not everything comes out of a package some things are made from scratch with an honest to god recipe. Yes these recipes are tested before they are sent out to be made. No the bread pudding was not a good product but Im sure they already have heard about it and will figure out what the problem was and will revise it. Yes they also have taste test on the other products that does come out of a box. They have food fairs that they can taste test these products and even invite kids to go to them. Have you never made something that did not come out right? And no those were not steak fingers your right it was a breaded beef patty. The warehouse seemed to have run out of steak fingers as sometimes happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God should be capitalized. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous I did not know that this was a test on my vocabulary, punctuation, and capitalizaion. I'm sure GOD will forgive me because HE knows I'm not perfect. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms Tree...just wondering..if you had a reaction to the gravy a couple of weeks ago, why would you eat it again? The school I worked at today also had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with white gravy, green beans, hot roll and bread pudding. I asked the cafeteria manager what was "MADE IN OKLAHOMA" and where was the STEAK FINGERS? She said the warehouse ran out of steak fingers but the chicken fried steak and the white gravy were both made in oklahoma. I agree the bread pudding was not very good, but I'm not a big fan of bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the "made in Oklahoma" menu?!? Where are the veggies? I am reminded of the amazing Slow Food meal we had on Labor Day -- delicious bread, salad, casserole, fruit, etc. Now, I know there are fewer options in February than there are in September, but *really* is this what we are celebrating from our state?
    I did not get the chance to ask Miss M about today's lunch, but I will. I anticipate a bad review on the bread pudding. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy...last time I checked green beans and potatoes were vegetables and I have a feeling they still are. I guess I'm confused because yesterday Ms Tree also said there was no vegetables and I always thought beans were a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting all week, and I'm just wondering what's happening. You never posted after the final day of this experiment, and I was also wondering if it was going to continue in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've also been waiting for the final day. I also was wondering about the group meetings that they have and what kind of refreshments that they have there. I've heard that they are not always on the healthy list that the school cafeterias are expected to follow.

    ReplyDelete