I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 12

On today's menu:



*Hamburger or Cheeseburger on WG Bun (offered)
Hot Ham and Cheese (not offered)
Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered)
Seasoned Peas (offered)
Baked Tater Tots (offered)
Variety of Fresh Fruit (strawberry, apples, oranges)
Baked Apples (offered)



I chose the Cheeseburger. It was no worse than a child's burger at McD's. It was however served on a whole wheat bun. And that added a lot of flavor to the burger. I am grateful for the tomato and pickles to give it some added flavor. Can't say that the iceberg lettuce does much of anything.



It says that seasoned peas were offered. I don't know what seasoning is being used when it lists the vegetable as seasoned. Today, I couldn't taste any seasoning. The peas were overcooked and mushy, but served hot.

Tater tots tasted better today, than the last time I ate them. They were a bit crisp which helped make them seem like tots. I'm wondering now, if the tots that I ate previously were not fully cooked and that's why they did not have flavor. I don't know.

The strawberries were delicious! I've been very impressed with the fresh fruit.

Today I brought my husband with me to lunch. He had the "baked apples". These looked like pie filling from a can. Dear hubby said they tasted sweetened, but were not overly sweet. They also had cinnamon on them.


Another fast food lunch. At least there was the fresh fruit.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that this is a fast food week on our school lunch menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same lunch (with the exception of the strawberries) at the school I subbed in today and I found it to be pretty good. Granted the burgers are not BLACK ANGUS beef but they aren't that bad. The food on the serving line at your school looks very appetizing and I must say the serving line is very clean and shiny. I happen to like the Baked Apples and MS Tree you're husband is right they are not overly sweet, but mine didn't look like pie filling from a can.

    ReplyDelete