I have two children in OKC public schools. One eats lunch at school everyday
the other brings her lunch from home most of the time.
My goal is to eat the school lunch served at my daughter's elementary school every day in February 2010.
I want to know what it is, exactly, the district is feeding our children.

Follow my adventure as I document what is served.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 14

On today's menu:



Chef Salad w/ Crackers (offered) OR
Mexican Wrap (offered) OR
Burrito (not offered)
Frozen Fruit Slush (not offered)
Beans and Rice (offered)
NOT ON THE MENU: Fruit cocktail mix (offered with what looked like fresh bananas mixed in)
Variety of Fresh Fruit (apples, oranges)



Assuming you've not eaten today at an OKCPS elementary school, take a minute and imagine what a Mexican Wrap might be. I'll give you some time to think about it.

Wrap? . . . well that probably means in a tortilla. Mexican ? . . . what would that be? What could it be? How would one know what that description really means? But I bet something comes to your mind . . . .

Now that you've got a picture in your mind, here is what I had for lunch today:




It WAS a wrap. Inside the wrap was meat and cheese with some kind of "spread" with perhaps taco seasoning mixed in it. I have NO idea what made up the spread.

Did you picture the meat being perhaps, ground beef? If so, you would be wrong. The meat was some type of lunch meat. Turkey or ham or??

Several of the kids, myself AND teachers(!) thought the "wrap" would be served warm. Again wrong. It was served cold. It was very confusing for many of the kids. The item was wrapped up with the same paper that the heated food is wrapped in. It looked like a burrito. There was salsa served on the side (in my book another implication that it was burrito like). So based on previous knowledge "something was wrong" with this "wrap" that looks like a burrito.

The kids told me that they did not remember having this before.


I tried to unwrap the wrap to photograph the insides, but the tortilla stuck to the spread and pealed apart making it most unphotogenic.

Having said all that, it didn't taste bad. The beans had a nice flavor and the rice was so-so. NO VEGETABLES today. Apple was good.

It looked like another fast food item. It was something else than what was expected. I'm baffled why CNS (Child Nutrition Services) didn't just called it a sandwich wrap and at least offer some lettuce and tomatoes with it.

One of the teachers told me later in the day, that many of the kids needed to be excused to go to the bathroom. I too, spent more time than usual in the bathroom today. Crampy tummy. Could be just a coincidence . . .

Only two more days left in this adventure.


6 comments:

  1. Ms. Tree Why dont you call the doctor and ask what kind of virus is going around. I know several people who have had vomiting,diarhea, stomach cramps and even fever in some cases. And this is within the last couple of weeks and I myself have had stomach cramps the last couple of days and I "did not" have a mexican wrap.Chances are if a couple of kids get the virus in the class room that it is going to spread.I believe the mexican wrap has been on the menu before. Maybe the other choice was made that day or maybe the kids don't remember having them just like they did not remember having turkey at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was curious about the wrap. When a child handed me a tray that her brother didn't want, I investigated the wrap to find what looked like turkey next to the tortilla and lots of cheese on top and then rolled inside the tortilla in burrito fashion. Oh and the reason the brother didn't eat the lunch was because his mother brings he and sister McDonalds lunch every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Quila,

    I'm sorry you take all of this so personally. NONE of my comments are directed at you. Nor are they directed at the kitchen staff.

    Please stop feeling so responsible for what is served in all of the OKCPS cafeterias. You do not have a choice in what you serve to the kids. You do the best that you can with what you have to work with and may I say it's quite a feat!

    Your efforts to feed the children in your school are very much appreciated!

    Sincerely,
    Ms. Tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still loving your blog Ms. Tree, and appreciate all of the time and effort you are investing here. We all need to be able to take in this information and think together how we make this situation healthier and better for kids. There are so many systems and regulations and routines in place that have forgotten that underlying mission. You are much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meredith reported having strawberries with her "wrap" today -- she liked the sauce, which sounds at least like it was seasoned, but couldn't there at least be lettuce and tomato wrapped up in there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beans are a reconstituted dehydrated vegetarian refried bean....similar to what is found in many health food stores....I love them.

    ReplyDelete